Sat, 18 Nov|
Across the City Centre
Gloucester Lantern Procession & Christmas Lights Switch-On
Step into the 12 Days of Christmas with this year's Lantern Procession and Christmas Lights Switch-On, with entertainment, music and activities for all the family.
When & Where
18 Nov 2023, 16:30 – 18:30
Across the City Centre, Southgate St, Gloucester GL1, UK
About the event
This year's Gloucester Lantern Procession and Christmas Lights Switch-on is a feast for all the senses. Take part in or watch the glowing Lantern Parade that celebrates the 12 Days of Christmas, a theme chosen by the children of Gloucester, on a route filled with music, light and entertainment.
Starting on Southgate Street at 4.30pm, join the parade of colourful lanterns inspired by the 12 Days of Christmas. See which Days you can find among the lights - illuminated pipers piping? Radiant turtle doves? Perhaps glowing eggs a-laid by six neon geese? The parade will be met along the way by a mesmerising displays and luminescent acts including illuminated hula-hooping with, you guessed it, five gold rings!
As the parade processes through the Gate Streets, there will be the Christmas Lights Switch-on, so as the lanterns journey towards the High Cross and Kings Square, you will see the Gate Streets burst into a blaze of festive colour. Make sure, if you're watching, you gather around the High Cross to see that.
Also at the High Cross will be Festive Funky Hooping - With a large stack of hoops, Five Gold Rings and some very funky Christmas tunes, Angie will be bringing festive cheer! Be amazed at the mesmerising trails of light her illumated hoops make, and dazzled by the hoops' acrobatics, spins, twists and turns.
The Procession will then continue towards to majestic Tree of Light in Kings Square (provided by Rotary Gloucester), where the Illumination Ceremony will take place at 5pm. Adorned with thousands of lights, the Tree of Light has raised over £86,000 for local people and charities since it was launched in 2011. You can support the Tree of Light by leaving a message or making a donation when you see it.
Kings Square is a new addition to the Lantern Procession for 2023, and will also host other amazing luminescent entertainment including:
- LoveArt in Kings Square - Witness this elegant aerial show from The Dream Engine. LoveArt features a massive 12m-high breathing heart that will host a highly-skilled aerial performance. This show combines sculpture, light, music, the open space of Kings Square, and immense skill, creating a must-see experience.
- The Living Snow Globe - this visual feast is every bit as magical as the snow globes of your childhood memories. The ethereal Snow Queen will glide through the crowd encased in her beautiful wintry sphere, where she awaits you to help conjure a monumental snowstorm. Venture close to her spellbinding Snow Globe and at the touch of a button watch as thousands of snowflakes transform her frosted world.
- A World of Bubbles - expect fun, bubble magic, snow, dancing, foamy bubbles to play with, bubble sculptures and even a bubble so big you can stand inside it, from the masters of epic children's entertainment, Cotswold Children's Parties.
- Live Music from RSVP Bhangra - a high-energy, interactive and fun Bhangra music extravagnaza that is guaranteed to keep you dancing. Having appeared at festivals across the UK, from Glastonbury and WOMAD, this is a rocking experience you won't want to miss.
- Food & Drink - indulge in a festive treat with a selection of winter warmers available in Kings Square from a variety of stalls.
Quick Event Timings:
- From 1pm - Various Entertainment - Kings Square
- 1-4pm - Make Your Own Lantern - Eastgate Shopping Centre
- 4.30pm - Gather for the Lantern Parade - Southgate Street
- 4.40pm - The Lantern Parade sets off - Southgate Street
- 4.50pm - The Christmas Lights Switch-on (as the Parade moves) - Watch at The High Cross
- 5pm - The Tree of Light Illumination Ceremony - Kings Square
- 5.30pm - Live Music from RSVP Bhangra - Kings Square
- 5.40pm - Carols in the Cathedral - Gloucester Cathedral
This entire event is free to attend and family-focused.
Why not make a whole evening of it with a meal or festive drinks in the city centre? For more info on places to eat, click here.
What's On in this Event
Make Your Own Lantern WorkshopsEastgate Shopping Centre
Various Entertainments in Kings SquareKings Square